Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Ahoy-hoy!


Want to see something funny-looking? Well, you're looking at her. I'm a patch-sportin', piracy-promotin', one-eyed knitter. I was changing Skye's diaper yesterday morning when, as I leaned over to tickle him, he poked me squarely in the eye with his sharp, dirty little fingernail. Little did I know that he had scratched my cornea. I thought that it would take care of itself so I popped in some eyedrops and tried to forget about it. Later in the day, it was hurting like a mothertrucker, as they say, so I asked my mom to watch the kids and took a trip to Instacare. I usually dread such an event because I am always accompanied by one or more grumpy children. But this time it was like a mini-vacation! I had lots of uninterrupted (one-eyed) knitting time, the doc and I discussed sourdough bread (Crumb Brothers, hallowed be thy name), and I learned that I have 20/10 vision. So call me Cap'n Hawkeye, ye landlubbers! It was my co-op day at Walker's school, so I got to explain to every child who saw me and asked about it (which was every child who saw me) that I don't just really love pirates, but that I have an actual injury. I think that it had never occured to many of them that eyepatches have an actual purpose besides adding flair to a costume.

8 comments:

Stitch-n-Snitch said...

"Yo, ho, ho and a bucket of rum!" Sorry, couldn't help meself, matey! ;)

Anonymous said...

Great - so there's already a semi-official "Talk Like a Pirate Day," and now we have the beginnings of "Look Like a Pirate Day."

I hope yer eye be gettin' better soon, lassie, else it'll be hard ta do anything while yer keepin' yer one good eye on the wee ones.

Anonymous said...

Be careful. If there is any pillaging in your neighborhood, you'll be the first one they suspect.

Arr.

Heather Joins the Round said...

Rats, everyone else already made all the good jokes.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Katherine, you make me laugh.
*arrgh*

Lauren said...

Youch! For such little beings they sure can be dangerous!

Anonymous said...

You should have told them that you are a pirate, but that your parrot was on vacation and your ship was in the shop getting the sail replaced with an engine because, in these economically unstable times, a pirate has to keep up or become a real estate agent... I'm sure they would have understood!

Anonymous said...

mmm... Crumb Brothers...