Quickly now, before bed, I tell you this: I finally went to see the new "Pride and Prejudice" at the cheapo theater (or should I say "theatre"?) tonight with my dear Mutti. I wasn't expecting a great deal to begin with, but good grief, it was worse than I could have imagined. It's not even my favorite Austin book, so it's not like the material is sacrosanct to me. The idiotic director has never in his life heard of subtlety, throttling every idea and emotion to death before any given scene is half over, and can you believe Kiera K. actually got nominated for Best Actress for this?! She couldn't even bring herself to stop mouthbreathing for most of the film. Jeez. They left out great bits of the book and made other bits up whole cloth (the marble statue scene with the lingering bottom shots killed me). The director, the script-adaptor, SOMEBODY put Jane Austen in a blender with "Wuthering Heights", threw in a dash of "The Matrix", shot this film and called it a day. I want my dollar-fifty back. (I also want to kick, just once, the woman behind me who kept giggling and talking at conversation volume and yelling that Darcy was cute.)
P.S. I dyed my hair the other night like I used to do up until six years ago. The walk down memory land went horribly wrong though when the dye turned my hair plum purple instead of "cayenne red" (those lying liers!). Erlack-a-pongos and rue the day. Nephi had joined in the fun too, so now we both look daft. Then yesterday I gave him a haircut with the electric clippers and things went even more downhill. Photos tomorrow? Maybe. If you promise never to use them against me. Nephi's wearing a hat for the rest of the week. Maybe for forever. Good thing I knit.
P.P.S. Camilla the other sister made the stencil for the Joe Smith shirt. You may have seen the image spray-painted all over the mean streets of downtown SLC during the parade last Pioneer Day.
Monday, March 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Sorry the movie was horrid!!! I can't wait to see your hair. (I was plum once, too, in anticipation of being red.) Maybe we can think of a way to fix it. :)
totally agree about P&P2005. Watch the BBC version.
But I am curious - what part of the movie was inspired by The Matrix?
When I was in high school, before my sister became a color guru and outlawed my trying anything remotely red or darker than my natural hair color, I ended up dark plum while expecting something along the lines of rich brown with red undertones.
It was great meeting you today at SnB. I *love* your hair :).
I really enjoyed meeting you last night. I loved your hair, too! Now, the question is, are you jumping back onto the lent wagon or not (grin) Leave it up to a bunch of knitters to be a bad influence!
Post a Comment