Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A Young Mona Lisa.


This is a photograph that hangs in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I am captivated by the expression on the girl's face. It's from an exhibit called The Waking Dream: Photography's First Century. The girl was the neighbor of the photographer, a woman whose name I neglected to write down, much to my chagrin. This hung directly across the hallway from two related works by Picasso and Pollock based on the same theme of fascism. It was an interesting juxtaposition which had a slightly emotionally overwhelming effect. But then, everything had a slightly overwhelming effect at that point; it was just too much to take all at once. Also interesting to me was the difference that I noticed between the photography of men and women. I discovered that I could usually tell the sex of the artist by looking at the piece--the difference was that marked.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is such a "real" expression. the picture captures the emotion exactly as it is happening...cool man.